I recently did a deep clean of my sewing area and discovered a few UFO’s or, in this case, a USO (un-started object). This is a needlepoint kit that I got in a museum gift shop in London during a visit a few years ago. It is made by a design company based in Wales that makes tapestry, cross stitch and embroidery kits. I don’t do a lot of tapestry, but it caught my eye as a nice souvenir.
It’s a small tapestry, so it was pretty quick to finish. I wasn’t exactly sure what I would do with it at the end. It seems a bit small to frame, especially since I only have one. A collection of a few of them would look nice, but even then, I don’t really have a place in my house that would suit it.
G2 has been doing a unit on medieval history, and she thought that I should make a book cover out of it and then write a book about the crusades. A book cover wasn’t a bad idea, but I really don’t feel like writing a book on the crusades. I decided to make a pincushion. I used a scrap of upholstery fabric for the back and some packaged piping.
I like how it turned out. B2 was wondering why I would make such a small pillow, and then when he put it against his face, asked why I would make a pillow that felt like a carpet. I know I’ll never make a tapestry cushion for him. He likes it as a pincushion. I’ll probably let him use it when he sews since he likes it a lot better than my flower pincushions.